C. Barnsley

Wed Apr 30 17:04:22 UTC 2003

This message, I suppose, is really for Jesse.  I hope that he will ask the boys in the back room to check the files.

I have received the following question from a constituent:
"If you look up 'Jelot' in the O.E.D. you find the following quoted: c1550 C. BARNSLEY Treat. agst. Woman; I've searched the catalogs, online databases, web search-engines, etc., with no luck.  Please advise."

The full citation is: "For a stewde strumpet can not so soone gette up a light lewde fashyon, But everye wanton Ielot wylle lyke it well, and catche it up anon. Ibid., Ducke, Ielot, ducke pretye minions."  It is explained as a variant spelling of "gillot".

Nothing shows up in RLIN under the title, though quirks of Elizabethan spelling and the possibility that the title is given in condensed as well as abbreviated form makes a title search doubtful.

I notice that C. BARNSLEY also appears in the OED as the author of Pride & Abuse of Women (c1550) 119 A caped cassock much like a players gown.  (under "cassock").  But I didn't find this book in the STC either.

Late breaking development, leading to the solution:

I have just found the following in RLIN:
Gosson, Stephen, 1554-1624.  Pleasant quippes for upstart newfangled gentlewomen / by Stephen Gosson.  A   treatise on the pride and abuse of women / by Charles Bansley. The first from a copy with the author's autograph; the last from an unique impression by Thomas Raynalde. -- London : T. Richards, 1841.  [v]-xii, 16, 15 p  "Reprinted by T. Richards for the executors of the late C. Richards, 100, St. Martin's Lane."  Originally printed in 1595.

This leads to:
 Bansley, Charles.   A treatyse, shewing and declaring the pryde and abuse of women now a dayes.   [microform] [Imprinted at London : In Paules Church yearde, at thee sygne of   the Starre. By Thomas Raynalde, [ca. 1550]  Signed at end: Charles Bansley.    Place of publication and printer's name from colophon; publication date  estimated by STC.  References: STC (2nd ed) 1374.    Available on microfilm and on the World Wide Web.  Microfilm. Ann Arbor, Mich.: University Microfilms International, 1953. 1     microfilm reel; 35 mm (Early English books, 1475-1640; 517:02).

So the author's name is wrong and the title both condensed as well as abbreviated.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998.