SHYSTER, MCJOB, etc.

Wed Dec 10 17:29:36 UTC 2003

Thanks, Gerald, for a serious, sober response to a serious question.

Despite its etymology, I've never treated SHYSTER as a taboo word, but then
my personal tastes tend to run against the acknowledgment of taboo constraints,
and if what you are saying is that many normal, sane people will actually be
offended by the very use of SHYSTER, then I'll file that information away in
my connotations bank and try to be judicious.

As for the mysterious putative "miserableness" of "McJob," however, I can't
imagine that anyone would think of it as a taboo word. In fact, I can't imagine
that anyone would find it objectionable on any grounds (except maybe
newness). And, as you note, there has been no adult communication here about such
grounds thus far.

As for the legal huffing and puffing of McDonalds concerning their apparently
having registered "McJob" as a trademark: I'm no lawyer, but from what I do
know about US trademark law I find it difficult to believe that they can really
be serious about taking legal action against the dictionary maker. For one
thing, a dictionary maker who enters "McJob" in a dictionary is not using it as
a trademark, they are merely reporting on the results of their scientific
investigations. The use of the term in the media in a nontrademark way is so
overwhelmingly numerous that any lexicographer would have to agree that the
dictionary maker's entry is scientifically correct. Often dictionary makers do
publish notice of the registration of a trademark as a part of their definitions,
but they are not legally required to do so, as far as I know, and as someone
else noted a week or so ago, McDonalds in this case would not find such a notice
very flattering.

I suspect that the main reason McDonalds made threatening noises about McJob
is just that they are forced to give the appearance of vigorously defending
their trademark. That is to say, they have to put their objections to the
dictionary entry on the record--otherwise, their lack of action could be used
against them in court in some unrelated case. As many ADS-L-ers know, McDonalds
claims not just "McJobs," "McNuggets," etc., but at least one court has ruled that
they actually own the "Mc-" prefix. Their victory in that case (in which a
motel chain was not allowed to use the name "McSleep") was somewhat
controversial at the time (see Lentine and Shuy's excellent article on the case in
AMERICAN SPEECH several years ago). I suspect that McDonalds is rather sensitive
about anything that starts with "Mc-".