final "oo" in Sicilian dialect

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Wed Feb 5 21:38:00 UTC 2003

Thanks for your response, Frank, and for your confirmation of my
suspicion, Steve.  I'd  actually begun to look up the Latin sources
for the Sicilian words in -u that I remember, and, so far, they all do
seem to go back to Latin u -- not only in the case of nouns (like
"culu" [standard It. culo, < L. culus], meaning "rear end," and also
used by my grandmother to name the end piece cut from a stick of
Italian bread), but also for verbs (like "mangiamu" [standard It.
"mangiamo," < L. mandimus], meaning "let's eat" (in Latin,
actually, "let's chew").

Does this mean that Tony Soprano speaks the wrong dialect of
Italian-American?

Joanne