Texting

Jan Ivarsson TransEdit jan.ivarsson at TRANSEDIT.ST
Fri Feb 14 16:34:02 UTC 2003

James A. Landau's version of the correspondence betwwen Friedrich and Voltaire is not absolutely correct. This is how it is usually given:

"Friedrich der Grosse (1712-1786), der "alte Fritz", König von Preussen, Musiker und Schlossherr in Sanssouci, schrieb seinem Freund, dem französischen Philosophen Voltaire:

     p                         ci
 venez                      sans

Und der Franzose antwortete ihm: G a "

It was an invitation (Come for supper), and this version corresponds better with French pronunciation of the alphabet ("c" is [se], "j" is closer to [ji], but "g" closer to [je]).
When will we get phonetic letters on the Internet? Sigh.

Jan Ivarsson