Vege Hotel; Eating Curds With a Blade

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 21 14:28:29 UTC 2003

   Greetings from Nuwara Eliya.  This is known as the "Garden City."  Chicago was also called that before...

VEGE HOTEL--Seen on a sign.  It's a vegetarian restaurant.  The person there didn't speak enough English to explain the "hotel" part.  Who stays there, couch potatoes?  Do they have a treetop tomato room with a view?  Do sapplings stay free?

AS RISKY AS EATING CURDS WITH A BLADE--A headline in today's papers.  My tour guide said it's a local proverb.  Sri Lankans usually eat with their fingers, but they eat curds with a spoon.  Eating with a knife is risky, I'd imagine.

TAKING POLYTHENE IN TO THE PARK IS PROHIBITED--A sign outside Victoria Park here.  "Polythene"?  WHy not just say "plastic"?

UMBRELLA TREE--My tour guide pointed this out.  I forget the other name.

V-ROLL--Very popular.  I mentioned this in a past post.

SHORT EATS--Is this in OED?

EQUIPMENT FOR DISABLES--Seen on a sign.  Not "disabled"?

OT:  Cricket is really big here.