"slang" and "informal" as dict labels [WAS: shirty?]

Kathleen E. Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Fri Feb 21 15:04:57 UTC 2003

At 09:45 AM 2/21/2003 -0500, Laurence Horn  wrote:

>This wouldn't work now.  There are many such teams (the Miami Heat
>has been playing in the NBA alongside the Jazz and Lakers for many
>years now, as has the Orlando Magic), but mostly from minor
>sports--the Chicago Fire is one of the cleverer ones.

Speaking of clever, the Chicago Fire fan club is called the Barn Burner's
and in one of the most amusing things I've seen in a while, one member
shows up to games [at least away games since I saw him here at a United
game] in a cow suit, with a jersey numbered  ' 71 - name, O'Leary. What
wasn't amusing is how I was one of three people in the Barra
Brava/Screaming Eagles [D.C. United's fan clubs] who got it.

There is also Dallas Burn, Columbus Crew, New England Revolution, and the
Los Angeles Galaxy.

I'll leave the "minor sports" comment alone ;-)

and on to non-"minor sports" did we mention the Tampa Bay Lightning or the
Minnesota Wild?

Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire
and D.C. United Season Ticket Holder 5 years running
The New York Times