RE:       Canadians in ADS

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Fri Feb 21 18:03:18 UTC 2003

Well, I'm still around, and even back in Canada, again.  (I had to
miss the last meeting, unfortunately; first time since I joined ADS in
the early 80s, I believe.)  Now if I could only think of a Canadian
topic for the next meeting . . .  But I expect to be there in any
case, even if the meeting isn't in Boston (actually, San Francisco
would probably be just as close to where I live).

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt
727 9th Street East
Saskatoon, Sask.
S7H 0M6
Canada
Tel: 306-955-8910

RonButters at AOL.COM writes, on Friday, February 21, 2003 10:14 AM:

> Maybe when we meet in Boston, a few miles from the border,
> we will get
> greater participation from up there?
>
> In a message dated 1/28/03 4:00:48 PM, AAllan at AOL.COM writes:
>

> > Mention of
> > "not quite the ONLY Canadian"
> > brings to mind the relative quiescence of Canadian
> dialect studies within
> > the
> > American Dialect Society in recent years. Our
> constitution declares that we
> > study "the English language in North America," and in the
> past we have had
> > even a Canadian president (Murray Kinloch) and a Canadian
> executive
> > secretary
> > (H. Rex Wilson). But there has been only one Canadian on
> our annual meeting
> > program for the past two years, and not necessarily with
> Canadian topics.
> >   Is it the fault of us who live south of the border? Do
> Canadians no
> > longer
> > feel welcome in ADS? Or is something else going on?
> > - Allan Metcalf

---