Airline Slang; airline names

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Mon Feb 24 16:56:14 UTC 2003

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Mike Salovesh wrote:

        [quoting Steve Cornelius & paulzjoh; mostly snipped. --MAM]

For whatever reason -- maybe net lag -- I haven't seen either of these
posts, SC's or paulzjoh's.

        [Steve Cornelius]
#> I hadn't got that one, so thanks for adding one to my collection. From this
#> list, I have deleted a few of, let us say, the more ribald. If you are not
#> possessed of particularly delicate sensibilities, and want to know some
#> fairly ripe initialisms for GARUDA (Indonesia), LUFTHANSA (Germany) and
#> EAST-WEST (an Australian domestic airline, now defunct), please contact me
#> off-list.

Would you please send me off-list SC's edress so I can ask him for
these?

#> PAN-AM:   Pilots Are Not Allowed Mandies

"Mandies"?

#[of our] airplanes crashes". Old filksingers, however, were given to saying
#that this airline was "all made of ticky-tacky".

Or folksingers. Malvina Reynolds wasn't a filker. (I'm both.)

-- Mark A. Mandel