Geographical euphemisms?

Ben Ostrowsky sylvar at VAXER.NET
Fri Jan 3 03:41:47 UTC 2003

Until I saw "Winnipeg handshake" (getting one's face smashed with a
bottle) online tonight, I wasn't aware that this might form a general
class of expressions.  "Bronx cheer" seems a likely member, as does
"Sicilian necktie", and I suppose broader slanders like "Dutch courage"
might also qualify.

I'd be interested in hearing about variations on these, as well as other
such items you may know about.  And is there a name for this sort of
thing?

Ben

--
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
 It's already tomorrow in Australia." -- Charles M. Schulz