geographical slanders/euphemisms

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 7 19:53:32 UTC 2003

At 11:22 AM -0800 1/7/03, Anne Gilbert wrote:
>  Larry:
>
>>  which brings up "Acapulco gold", one of many "x gold" collocations
>>  referring to such valuables as oil ("black gold", "Texas gold") as
>>  well as to marijuana and other treasured items I can't think of at
>>  the moment.
>
>Huh?  I thought "liquid sunshine" was a Pacific NW specialty(referring to
>our frequent and often seemingly endless winter rains).
>Anne G

Yes, but if you look at Sal's message, which I was replying to (and
incorporated in my message), you'll see that he was referring to
"Berkeley sunshine" as a type of LSD:

>Berkeley sunshine was a trade name for the LSD that (allegedly)
>was cooked up by folks with access to the UCB chem labs during
>the late 60s, early 70s.

  *That's* what led me to "Acapulco gold", which in turn carried me by
free association to "Texas/black gold" for 'oil', etc.

larry