Boston Curled Lettuce (1872)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 23 05:39:17 UTC 2003

   Two from HARPER'S WEEKLY full text.

Search the Full-Text of Harper's Weekly, 1857-1912

72-02-03  (Pg. 110--ed.)

GREGORY'S
SEED
CATALOGUE
     Having been the first to introduce to the public the
Hubbard Squash, American Turban Squash, Marble-
head Mammoth Cabbage, Mexican Sweet Corn, Phin-
ney's Water-Melon, Brown's New Dwarf Marrowfat
Pea, Boston Curled Lettuce, and other
New and Valuable Vegetables,
with the return of another season I am again prepared
to supply the public with Vegetable and Flower Seeds
of the purest quality. My Annual Catalogue is now
ready, and will be sent free to all. It has not only all
novelties, but the standard vegetables of the farm and
garden (over one hundred which are of my own grow-
ing), and a carefully selected list of Flower Seeds. On
the cover of my Catalogue will be found copies of let-
ters received from farmers and gardeners residing in
over thirty different states and territories who have used
my seed from one to ten years. I warrant -- 1st, That
all money sent shall reach me; 2d, That all seed ordered
shall reach the purchaser; 3d, That my seed shall be
fresh, and true to name. Catalogues free to all.

JAMES J. H. GREGORY , Marblehead, Mass.

79-02-15   (Pg. 131--ed.)

HOME AND FOREIGN GOSSIP.
     A stranger from the country making a tour through
Fulton and Washington markets at this season would
be astonished not only at the inconvenient old build-
ings, and the often untidy aspect of the interiors, but
at the immense quantity of meat displayed, and the
variety of fruits and vegetables exposed for sale in
midwinter. Probably no other markets in the world
exhibit such a variety of rarities out of their season.
Early vegetables come to the New York market from
all parts of the country, and, as luxuries, command a
fancy price. Many of these come from the South, but
some of the very first arrivals are from the North.
Fresh rhubarb, large, tender, and white, comes as
early as January from a farm near Quebec; in March
it is sent from Long Island. All through the winter
cucumbers come from Boston; but not many people
can afford to eat Boston cucumbers in January, for
they cost at wholesale six dollars a dozen. They are
also sent to our market from other places, but these
are inferior in quality, and do not command so high
a price. Boston lettuce is crisp and white, and the
best radishes come from the same city. Among other
vegetables which are seen in our market in winter or
early spring, far in advance of their season, are toma-
toes from Nassau and Bermuda; onions, potatoes, and
beets from Bermuda; asparagus from South Carolina,
Virginia, Maryland, and, later in the season, from Long
Island; peas, in January and February, from New Or-
leans and from Florida, while in April they come from
Maryland; string-beans from Florida; turnips from
Charleston; and Baltimore spinach is always in the
market. The largest supply of cauliflower during
the winter comes from Long Island; but about the
first of February it is sent from France, as also are
artichokes. These luxuries and many others in the
vegetable line are almost always obtainable in New
York by those who seek novelties for their table, and
have money enough to pay for them. And the same
is true of many kinds of fruits. For example, straw-
berries were on sale in this city several weeks ago,
but the majority of our citizens contented themselves
with looking at them.

     The Belfast (Maine) Journal gives an interesting ac-
count of smelt-fishing on the coast of Maine. For
about two months in midwinter the smelt visit the
rivers near the coast and are readily caught by hook.
The fishermen erect little canvas tents on the ice, cut
a hole, drop the line, and patiently wait for a bite.
Cold, stormy days are those which bring most success
in smelt-fishing.
(...)