Harding and "hospitalization": a puzzle

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Thu Jul 3 20:27:10 UTC 2003

 Allan Metcalf writes:

>"As to 'hospitalization,' has your correspondent [one who said it *was*
>already in the dictionary] tested it well with his (or her) ears? A loyal
>Congress
>should now move the primary accent two syllables to the right, the resolution
>to be framed by Mr. Knox. We get peace nowadays by resolution. Why not
>>keep some of the joy in living by the same means?"
>
>The context of the rest of the letter makes it clear that this writer (J.S.
>Biggs) disapproves of "hospitalization," but I don't understand what he means
>by moving the accent, or how that would contribute to the joy in living. Can
>anyone elucidate this?
~~~~~~~~
Two  possibilities suggest themselves:
 He really meant put the accent on the second syllable, conceived as SPIT,
thus expressing his opinion of the idea; or move it to IZ, making a word
that more or less rhymes with physician: hospital-IZ-ish at n.
I don't get much joy from this cookery.
A. Murie