Harding and "hospitalization": a puzzle

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Jul 4 07:40:43 UTC 2003

>In 1921 the Daily Chronicle of London (England) criticized the language of
>newly elected U.S. President W.G. Harding's first message to Congress, stating
>in part:
>
>"this message gives us 'hospitalization,' which the English speaking world
>might surely have done very well without."
>
>That was reported in the NY Times (April 29) and elicited some responses from
>readers. One who agreed with the Chronicle has this to say (NY Times, May
>13):
>
>"As to 'hospitalization,' has your correspondent [one who said it *was*
>already in the dictionary] tested it well with his (or her) ears? A loyal
>Congress
>should now move the primary accent two syllables to the right, the resolution
>to be framed by Mr. Knox. We get peace nowadays by resolution. Why not keep
>some of the joy in living by the same means?"
>
>The context of the rest of the letter makes it clear that this writer (J.S.
>Biggs) disapproves of "hospitalization," but I don't understand what he means
>by moving the accent, or how that would contribute to the joy in living. Can
>anyone elucidate this?

The word "hospitalization" was uncommon at the time, I believe.

One possibility is that the writer took the primary stress to be on the
first syllable (which usually has secondary stress): maybe this is how
Harding pronounced it, or maybe this is how the writer had heard it
somewhere, or imagined it. Then the shift to the third syllable would liken
the unfortunate clumsy word to the more recognizable (and more joyous) word
"hospitality".

-- Doug Wilson