OED June update now available; Curly Kate

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jun 13 12:45:19 UTC 2003

CURLY KATE--This is a tour group that's based in Vancouver, and a Canadian said "Curly Kate."  Thanks.

OED--The OED June update is now available.  Some of the food terms in that early paragraph sound familiar...

  Subj:    OED ONLINE - June 2003 update
  Date:    6/13/2003 6:43:08 AM Eastern Standard Time
  From:    Susanna Lob <lobs at oup.co.uk>
  To:    Barry Popik <bapopik at aol.com>
  Sent from the Internet (Details)

Dear Barry Popik

We are pleased to announce that the latest quarterly update to OED Online is now available at www.oed.com.

EXPLORE OVER 2700 NEW AND REVISED WORDS...

The latest alphabetical range to be revised is MUST to NECESSITY (see http://dictionary.oed.com/public/help/Dict/Quarterly/0306.htm for details).

English borrows extensively from other languages, and many such words are featured in this update: Russian (MUZHIK, a peasant), Afrikaans (NAGAPIE, a bushbaby), Malay (NASI GORENG, a rice dish), Dharuk (MYALL, a stranger), Hindi (NAINSOOK, a cotton fabric), Norwegian (MYSOST, a whey cheese), Sanskrit (NAYAKA, a leading actor) and Hawaiian (MUUMUU, a loose-fitting dress).

CHECK OUT THE LATEST BUZZ WORDS...

The update also covers a wide range of new vocabulary - from BOGOF to BAZILLIAN, from GRANOLA-HEAD to TRUSTAFARIAN, from COMPUTERPHOBE to TECHNO-PAGAN, and from LOUNGECORE to SADCORE.

The complete list of out-of-sequence new entries is available at http://dictionary.oed.com/public/help/Dict/Quarterly/0306a.htm .

GET THE MOST OUT OF OED ONLINE...

* The comprehensive and user-friendly help text available at http://dictionary.oed.com/help/ demonstrates the many ways in which you can use OED Online.
* A step-by-step tour is available at http://www.oed.com/tour.
* A Quick Reference Guide is available in PDF format at http://www.oed.com/public/pdfs/Quickref.pdf.
* Our new revised brochure can be downloaded at http://oed.com/public/pdfs/brochure.pdf.
* In addition, we have a Powerpoint demonstration showing the key features of the service. Let me know if you would like us to send you this demo.

ADD OED ONLINE TO YOUR LINKS TOOLBAR...

You can now use the OED Online's Find Word search from any web page by adding our simple lookup feature to your browser toolbar. With this feature, you can highlight a word on any web site, click the "Search OED Online" button on your browser toolbar, and the results of a Find Word search in OED will be displayed. Find out more at http://www.oed.com/public/subscriptions/services.htm#add.

NEW ISSUE OF OED NEWS...SPECIAL 75th ANNIVERSARY ISSUE!

The June issue of OED News is now available at http://dictionary.oed.com/public/news/0306.htm, and can be downloaded as a PDF file. To mark the 75th anniversary of the publication of the final section of the first edition of the OED in 1928, this issue gives a fascinating overview of the story of the OED, stretching back to the earliest days of the project and beyond.

In this month's Appeal, we are asking if anyone can help us find earlier examples of the use of a variety of words and phrases - for example, did anyone play "pass the parcel" before 1968, and might anyone have referred to their lawyer as their "brief" before 1970?   If you can help, please e-mail oed3 at oup.co.uk.

If you have any queries about OED Online, please don't hesitate to contact support at oed.com.

Regards

Susanna

Susanna Lob
Sales and Marketing Director, Online Products
Visit our website at www.oxfordonline.com for details on all our online resources