Zero-option

Thu Jun 19 21:18:30 UTC 2003

Again following up on a post by Arnold Zwicky, I have been puzzling for
several years about the speech of my mortgage broker. Here is a native speaker of
American English, an educated, middle-aged man with no noticeable regional
American accent and no particular grammatical idiosyncracies except:

he starts abotu 20% of his sentences with "is".

As in:

I thought I'd call and tell you about the current situation with regards tdo
interest rates. Is that you can get a five-year baloon for 4.25%, but the
interest-free rate is 4.5%. So I think you should lock in on the regular baloon.
Is you can always drop the regular baloon and pick up the interest-free, but is
you have to lock in for 21 days.

Is this not weird? What drummer is he listening to?