Trick or Treat (1939); Tar Heels; Snickerdoodles; Mulligan Stew; Pimiento Cheese

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jun 29 19:09:59 UTC 2003

   From ancestry.com.  More about that at the bottom.

TRICK OR TREAT

   We have an antedate for this important American custom.  Helena, Montana.
Just amazing.

   5 November 1939, HELENA DAILY INDEPENDENT (Helena, Montana), pg. 4, col.
3:
   Mr. and  Mrs. D. S. Billett held open house Tuesday evening, October 31,
when groups of children from all parts of town called to play "trick or treat."
 Various games entertainment and refreshments made Halloween a memorable
occasion.

TAR HEELS

   3 June 1863, NORTH CAROLINA STANDARD (Raleigh, NC), pg. , col. 2:
   The troops from other States call us "Tar Heels."  I am proud of the name,
a tar is a  sticky substance, and the "Tar Heels" stuck up like a sick kitten
to a hot brick, whille many others from a more oily State slipped to the
rear, and left the "Tar Hells" to stick it out.

SNICKERDOODLES

   Perhaps this will help the next volume of DARE.

   26 November 1931, HELENA DAILY INDEPENDENT, (Helena, Montana), pg. 8, col.
1:
   Snickerdoodles are spicy little drop cookies that are good to serve with
shortbread.
      _SNICKERDOODLES_
   One cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons  butter, 1 egg, 1/2 cup seeded and
chopped raisins, 1/2 cup milk, 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2
teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
   Beat egg until light, beating in sugar and softened (not melted) butter.
Mix and sift flour, salt and baking powder and add alternately with milk to
first mixture.  Stir in  raisins and drop by teaspoonfuls onto oiled and floured
tins.  Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle (Col. 2--ed.) over cookies.  Bake
15 minutes in a moderate oven.

MULLIGAN STEW

   The HDAS has 1904.

   28 August 1903, NEVADA STATE JOURNAL (Reno), pg. 1, col. 5:
      _MULLIGAN STEW_
_A Bunch of Renoites Enjoy the Hos-_
   _pitality of Lord Kelsey_
   Gentle and long suffering readfer, have you ever partaken of a mulligan
stew?  If your answer is in the negative there is a positive assurance that you
have never known true happiness.
   Yesterday afternoon Bohemia, or something else, was turned loose and one
of the pleasantest little times was had that ever happened.  It all occurred in
Lord Kelsey's mansion on the banks of the Truckee.  The mansion is restricted
in size and the event took place beneath a spreading willow.  The mulligan
was simply immense.  There were four gallons of it and every gill thereof was
nectar fir for the gods.  This was natural since it was concoted by H. H.
Hopping.   Litchenberg was the assistant chef de cuisine and Bet Rogers officiated
as bar maid.

PIMIENTO CHEESE

   21 April 1911, ATLANTA CONSTITUTION:
Elkhorn Brand Pimiento Cheese...12c

ANCESTRY.COM

   It doesn't work very well.
   You pretty much have to know the state and the date you're looking for,
and then it's a crapshoot.  There are many bad hits.
   You can't control by date.  I typed in "jazz," and then had to look at the
earliest dates (and bad hits) for about 250 newspapers.  It took almost two
hours.  There wasn't an antedate to be found, so Gerald Cohen keeps his $100.
   "Trick or Treat" turned up no hits.  I tried "trick treat Halloween" to
get my answer.  But you also get hits with "trick" and "treat" not at all
connected.  "Sloppy Joe" was very difficult to do.  "Whole nine yards" turned up no
hits, but who knows?  How can you search for "Murphy's Law" on a search engine
like this?
   It's better than nothing, but it could be much better.