beyond the pail

Anne Gilbert avgilbert at PRODIGY.NET
Fri Mar 7 17:37:11 UTC 2003

Allen:
> Thank heavens I grew up in Oregon. For me, "creek" and "bucket" are normal
> and "crick" and "pail" are not. I would probably STILL be in 3rd grade ...

While "bucket" and "creek" are more usual(nowadays, at least), in My Fair
State of Washington, I've actually *heard* "pail" and "crick" -- more often
in my childhood than now.  My father used to refer to a given "crick" all
the time.  He was born in Missouri, and my grandfather spent much of his
growing-up life in Missouri, so that's probably where the "crick" came from.
But my father was an educated "professional", so I'm kind of puzzled as to
where this kind of "linguistic discrimination" is coming from.
Anne g