"Make Beautiful Music Together"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 17 12:12:59 UTC 2003

Can anyone help me determine whether the phrase "make beautiful music
together" was popularized by the 1940 song, "We Could Make Such Beautiful
Music Together," or whether it predated the song?  (The revised OED's
first usage is dated 1969, and the OED entry defines it a bit narrowly, I
think, as only referring to sexual intercourse.)

Fred Shapiro