Puerto Rican-American??

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Mar 20 16:45:39 UTC 2003

> Since all Puerto Ricans, regardless of their individual
> politics, are US citizens, one can only infer that Ms.
> Lopez's ancestors emigrated from Puerto Rico to the US
> sometime before 1898.

Puerto Ricans only have US citizenship if the emigrate to one of the 50
states or DC, in which case they are automatically granted citizenship upon
arrival (i.e., they don't have to go through the naturalization process). If
they remain in in Puerto Rico, they are considered US "nationals," not
citizens. Puerto Ricans who reside in P.R. do not have real congressional
representation, they cannot vote for president, nor do they pay federal
income taxes. (Virgin Islanders and Guamanians have the same deal.)

I've never heard the term "Puerto Rican-American" before, but it does make
this rather arcane distinction between an American citizen who was born in
Puerto Rico and a native-born resident of Puerto Rico.