"Who's Your Daddy?" (SUGAR DADDY, 1936)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 25 15:59:39 UTC 2003

   "Sugar daddy" became popular slang of the 1920s, and I think I've posted
that here.  It doesn't mean your literal father; it's the person who
financially supports you.  "Who's your daddy?" would be asked of a woman
wearing expensive clothes, for example.
   John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK doesn't have "Sugar
Daddy," but here's the trademark of this famous candy:

Word Mark   SUGAR DADDY

Goods and Services  IC 030. US 046. G & S: CANDY SUCKERS. FIRST USE:
19360400. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19360400
Mark Drawing Code   (5) WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM
Serial Number   71565391
Filing Date September 17, 1948
Change In Registration  CHANGE IN REGISTRATION HAS OCCURRED Registration
Number  0544252
Registration Date   June 26, 1951
Owner   (REGISTRANT) JAMES D. WELCH COMPANY CORPORATION MASSACHUSETTS 810
MAIN STREET CAMBRIDGE MASSACHUSETTS(LAST LISTED OWNER) CHARMS MARKETING
COMPANY CORPORATION BY ASSIGNMENT, BY ASSIGNMENT ILLINOIS 7401 SOUTH CICERO
AVENUE CHICAGO ILLINOIS 60629

Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record  DOUGLAS R. WOLF
Prior Registrations 0401144
Disclaimer  NO REGISTRATION RIGHTS ARE HEREIN CLAIMED IN RESPECT TO THE WORD
"SUGAR" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN.
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text  SECT 15. SECTION 8(10-YR) 20011102.
Renewal 3RD RENEWAL 20011102
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE