Teen slang/hip-hop lingo in the mainstream

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 31 20:31:29 UTC 2003

At 11:34 AM -0800 3/31/03, Peter A. McGraw wrote:
>I hope this isn't too off-topic--technically it IS about American speech.
>Quite apart from the meaning of "bling-bling" or "pling-pling," I'm
>struggling with the meaning of the sentence below and its whole context,
>namely: what is a spamscanner that critiques spam ads?
>
>I've heard of "filters" that try to keep spam out of one's in-box (or at
>least I think I have), but what is a "scanner" that "critiques" them?  I
>have a mental picture of a steady stream of e-mail messages offering
>reviews of spam ("Gripping!  I couldn't hit the delete button until I'd
>read to the end!") I'm hoping there may be others on the list who are as
>clueless as I am but afraid to ask.
>
>Peter Mc.

OK, you asked for it.  Here's the critical "pling pling" annotation
provided by the Brown spamscanner.  We have similar ones at Yale, but
not programmed by the same kind of insanely inspired and/or obsessed
undergraduate who designed the assassin program at our sister Ivy (or
IV) institution.  Remember, this is a MENTION, not a USE, of spam.

>Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 00:10:33 -0500
>Subject: Re: Fwd: USE YOUR DICK TO HIT PEOPLE!!!

Or, if you prefer, here's the spamassassin reporting on an unrelated
but equally irrelevant posting,  with the message included below.
(No plings on this one.)

>To: <Undisclosed.Recipients at draco.services.brown.edu>
>Subject: ink, 8o% off today.    x
>Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 10:28:03 -0800
>
>Fantastic Savings on Inkjet Cartridges
>
>Quality printing products at
>.......................wholesale prices!
>
>Printing Cartridges for:
>
>......HP- as low as $16.47
>
>.........Epson - as low as $6.47
>
>...............Canon - as low as $4.47