Deef (1938)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu May 1 21:16:33 UTC 2003

DEEF

   I'll have more from this series in YANKEE.
   From YANKEE magazine, December 1938, pg. 15, col. 2:

_ARE YOU A YANKEE CHURCHGOER?  ALL RIGHT--PROVE IT!_
   By JASON ALMUS RUSSELL
(...)
6.  What was a "pitt"? facing-seat? box-pew? "deef" pew? hassock?
(Answer on Pg. 35, col. 3--ed.)
6.  _Pitt:_  Massachusetts (1670) term for _Pew_.
    _Facing-seat:_  Three pews--one rising behind the other running across the back side of the church.
    _Box-pew:_  high sides, except at the front, with a door on the side.
    _Deef-pew:_  pew located near the pulpit for the deaf.
    _Hassock:_  a cushion footstool.

MISC.

53 1/2 SPRING STREET OR 53 1/3 SPRING STREET--I walked through the NYPL's EATS display again.  There's a huge photo of Gennaro Lombardi's place.  A 1905 date is given for the photo, although I think that's ten years off.  The picture is courtesy of Lombardi's. The location, very large in the center of the photo, is "53 1/2."  Who wrote that "pizza" entry for Scribner's?  _Two_ people.  One was Cara de Silva, a food historian from New York City.  This was her only contribution.  The other writer was Jennifer Berg of NYU, who contributed two other articles.  You're doing the definitive article on "pizza" and you can't walk five blocks?  You have to crib someone else's error?...William Grimes's EATS note states that Lombardi's is now located at 35 Spring Street.  It's 32 Spring Street...CAN ANYONE GET ANYTHING RIGHT?  DOESN'T ANYONE CHECK ANYTHING?

EVANS DIGITAL--It's now at Columbia!  Ask me about pre-1800 stuff!

AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES--My message about when ProQuest will add to this database was forwarded to the right guy.  He just hasn't responded in several days.  Clearly, a stumper.