Re:       Re: Pardon my Latin

Mon May 5 17:59:07 UTC 2003

The interesting differences in language reflect some interesting differences
in their referants. That is to say, "sensitivity training" and "reeducation"
are not mere synonyms. For one thing, no one--certainly not the
government--can REALLY "require" Senator Santorum to undergo "sensitivity
training," whereas "reeducation" in China is generally considered to be as
manditory option to prison. Second, "sensitivity training" is not suggested
for ALL unpopular "attitudes" or "views" in our society, only some (i.e.,
when the expression of those attitudes or views seem harmful to an innocent
segment of the population).

And if you are the Dixie Chicks and express views that some people don't
like, e.g., saying that you are ashamed of the person now serving as
president of the United States, you are merely labled "unpatriotic."