Odd expression

Fri May 16 17:50:11 UTC 2003

Well, yes and no. "Kusotare" (literally "shit-leaker") is but one of
a number of such suffixed -tare expressions (e.g., "nose-leaker" for
"snot-nose"), so it would be difficult to pinpoint "bakatare" as
derived (exclusively) from "kusotare. On the other hand, modern
(especially younger) speakers, seem to have little or no independent
semantic sense of "-tare" (i.e., it is opaque) and treat such items
as "bakatare" as unanalyzed lexical units.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics