Frozen FoodSection(1943, 1946)

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Sat May 17 21:50:56 UTC 2003

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> FROZEN FOOD SECTION
>
>    "Frozen food" is a little ambiguous to get a handle on, so I tried "frozen food section" (of a supermarket).  OED has "frozen food" from 1950?
>
> (PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
>   Downtown Store Opens Grocery, Frozen Food Shop; Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file), Boston, Mass.; Nov 26, 1947; pg. 2, 1 pgs
>
>   Display Ad 13 -- No Title; Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file), Boston, Mass.; Nov 26, 1947; pg. 3, 1 pgs
>
>   Display Ad 37 -- No Title; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Nov 23, 1947; pg. 37, 1 pgs
>
>   Frosty Foods Corner Ready For Jordan's; Women's Activities; By Betty Driscoll Staff Writer of The Christian Science Monitor; Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file), Boston, Mass.; Feb 1, 1946; pg. 4, 1 pgs
> ("It may possibly be distributed through frozen food sections of department stores throughout the country, although this has not been decided.")
>
>   Meat Ration Points Are Cut But Butter Will Need More; Thirty-five Meat Items Are Reduced 1 to 2 Points on Report of Larger Supplies -- Changes Take Effect Sunday MEAT POINTS CUT, BUT BUTTER RISES ; Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Sep 3, 1943; pg. 1, 2 pgs
> (Pg. 2:  "In the frozen foods section increases were assigned to all fruits and berries, green, waxed and lima beans, cut corn, peas and spinach.")

Clarence Birdseye invented the first flash-frozen packaged fresh
food in 1923. In 1930, in Springfield, MA, the first quick-frozen
foods were sold to the public under the tradename Birds Eye
Frosted Foods®.

According to the American Frozen Food Institute, one of the
developments in the 1940s was that "Snow Crop produces the first
full-color magazine ad for frozen foods".

Maybe the AFFI has something in its archives that would help push
the antedating of "frozen food" even further back?

Copying this to the folks at AFFI.

More information on Birdseye
<http://web.mit.edu/invent/iow/birdseye.html>

Sal
--
Ye olde swarm of links: 3K+ useful links for writers, researchers
and the terminally curious