Pronto Pup (1942, 1944, 1946); Car-Hop (1937)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 10 09:43:59 UTC 2003

PRONTO PUP

   An author of a forthcoming "hot dog" book has asked me about "Pronto pup,"
a "corn dog" popular in the Mid-west.  The trademarks show 1942 and 1944, but
the earliest Ancestry hits (keep in mind Ancestry doesn't have Oregon and
Washington newspapers from the 1940s) is 1946.
   My ("Popik Collection") DARE P-Sk entry has the January 1947 COMPACT (see
ADS-L archives).  It is actually from PIC.  PIC was a picture newspaper of the
1940s.  Non-copyright stuff is generally over 75 years old, and I was going
through material not likely to be digitized soon or found easily.  I was
looking for "beefcake," among other terms.
   The post was made on September 11, 2001.  On Monday, September 10, 2001, I
had visited Washington, DC, to get a visa for my next overseas trip.  It was
to be an archaeological tour with the author of HOW WRITING BEGAN.
   My September 11th post was titled: "There goes my trip to Iran."

(ANCESTRY NEWSPAPERS)
   12 May 1946, WATERLOO DAILY COURIER (Waterloo, Iowa), pg.30, col. 7:
FOR SALE!
Franchise Rights on
PRONTO PUP
a Proven Sensation
This is a wiener cooked in a bun.

   23 May 1946, INDEPENDENT RECORD (Helena, Montana) pg. 9, cols. 7-8 ad:
It's
PRONTO-PUPS
"Weiner (sic) Dun in the Bun"
(...)
The Best Doggone Hot Dog in the World!

   27 July 1946, TIMES RECORDER (Aznesville, Ohio), pg. 2, col. 7:
_Big Pronto Pup_
_Drive-In Opens_
   Wynn-Woodward, Inc., a new local corporation, owners of the franchise
rights on a food product known as "Pronto Pups," for Muskingum, Licking, Fairfield
and Perry Counties, announced that their first "Pronto Pup" Drive-In would
have its formal opening to-night at 7 o'clock.
   The new Drive-In, located at the corner of Fourth and North streets,
opposite the Municipal auditorium, will feature, in addition to Pronto Pups, soft
drinks, ice cream sandwiches and other food products.
   Patrons will be served in their cars by attractive "car-hops."  More than
a hundred cars can be accommodated at one time at the new Drive-In.
   Pronto Pups are described as "America's Banquet on a Stick."  Top grade
all-meat wieners are placed on meat skewers, dipped into a specially prepared
batter and cooked in hot oil for two and one-half minutes.  The result is a
delicious new food sensation, golden brown, flavorful and nutritious.

(TRADEMARK)
Word Mark     PRONTO PUPS
Goods and Services  IC 029. US 046. G & S: batter coated franks. FIRST USE:
19420900. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19420900
Mark Drawing Code   (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number   74629375
Filing Date February 3, 1995
Current Filing Basis    1A
Original Filing Basis   1A
Published for Opposition    October 31, 1995
Registration Number 1976123
Registration Date   May 28, 1996
Owner   (REGISTRANT) Pronto Pup Co., Inc. CORPORATION OREGON 8437 S.W.
Terwilliger Blvd. Portland OREGON 97219
Attorney of Record  OLIVER D. OLSON
Prior Registrations 1517348
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text  SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

(TRADEMARK)
Word Mark   PRONTO PUPS
Goods and Services  (ABANDONED) IC 030. US 046. G & S: EDIBLE SPECIALTY
PREPARED FLOUR MIX USED IN THE CREATION OF THE ORIGINAL HOT DOG ON A STICK; "A
WIENER DUN IN A BUN;" COMMONLY CALLED AND SOLD AS PRONTO PUPS. FIRST USE:
19440600. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19440700
Mark Drawing Code   (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code  020110 020126 040702 081103 090505
Serial Number   73726718
Filing Date May 10, 1988
Current Filing Basis    1A
Original Filing Basis   1A
Owner   (APPLICANT) KARNIS, JOHN J. DBA PRONTO PUP FLOUR CO. OF MINNESOTA AND
ILLINOIS INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES 7761 KENTUCKY CIRCLE BROOKLYN PARK
MINNESOTA 55445
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Abandonment Date    July 10, 1989

(TRADEMARK)
Word Mark   PRONTO PUPS
Goods and Services  IC 030. US 046. G & S: FLOUR MIX FOR COATING WEINERS,
CHEESE, SHRIMP, OYSTERS, ONION RINGS, FISH, MEAT, FRUITS AND VEGETABLES. FIRST
USE: 19420423. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19420000
Mark Drawing Code   (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number   73712735
Filing Date February 22, 1988
Current Filing Basis    1A
Original Filing Basis   1A
Published for Opposition    September 27, 1988
Registration Number 1517348
Registration Date   December 20, 1988
Owner   (REGISTRANT) PRONTO PUP CO. INC. CORPORATION OREGON 8431 S.W.
TERWILLIGER BLVD. PORTLAND OREGON 97219
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record  LEE R. SCHERMERHORN
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text  SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

CAR-HOP

   OED's first "car-hop" is from AMERICAN SPEECH, also in 1937.  I don't know
if this is earlier or later than that 1937 issue.

   14 April 1937, CHRONICLE TELEGRAM (Elyria, Ohio), pg. 9, col. 6:
(Jimmie Fidler in Hollywood--ed.)
   So it has come to this!  Drive-in sandwich stands are using star-bait to
lure customers!  I eased into one for a quick bit last week, and a waitress
went to great pains to point out John Boles and Eleanore Whitney, scattered in
their cars munching even as you and I.  I thought nothing of it at the time, but
today I stopped at the same place, and another car-hop said, "We have Eleanor
Powell with us."

(OT:  Using "drive" as the first name and "in" as the last name in the
Ancestry search engine produces zero hits!--ed.)