Shibbolize--a new word

Geoff Nathan an6993 at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Nov 20 14:44:03 UTC 2003

Further to our on-and-off meaning of the word 'shibboleth' I should note
that the Internet2 community is developing a schema for a common password
and directory structure that would allow member universities to share
permissions for access to certain kinds of things.  For example, it would
ultimately allow you in university X to access the on-line library
resources of university Y without needing anything more than the password
you use to access your home university's network.  The project is known as
the Shibboleth Project (information available at
http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/ for the geekier among us)
In any case, working to make your home university's directory structure
comply with these standards is known as 'shibbolizing' it.  The earliest
Google-ized reference I found was February 2002.

Also interesting for those morphologically inclined is the fact that -eth
is a pseudo-suffix, apparently.

Geoff