rocks and stones

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Thu Nov 20 17:41:07 UTC 2003

A rock in my shoe?  That would suggest an abnormally big chunk to me!

If a stone barge is the same as the old Linguistic Atlas item "stoneboat,"
I'm with David; we had a stoneboat on our family farm in Minnesota, to haul
stones (not rocks, though they could be pretty big) out of the fields.  We
also skipped stones.

We also had rock quarries (and gravel pits--are they the same?) in
Minnesota, but in southern Indiana the (lime)stone quarries are everywhere.