Nitnoy

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Aug 14 05:57:52 UTC 2004

Here is a quotation from the Apollo 15 Lunar Surface Journal (on-line:
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a15/a15.lrvload.html). This
is not from the date of the mission (1971) but apparently from annotations
added around 1996. This appears to be in the words of one of the astronauts
(Col. Scott).

<<.... It wasn't a major thing, it was a nitnoy (meaning a 'nitpicking
annoyance') ....>>

Here is an alternative etymology for "nitnoy", a sort of quasi-acronym
("NITpicking anNOYance"): I believe it to be a retrospective
'folk-etymology', since I believe the similarity to the Thai "nit noi" =
"little bit" is too close to be accidental.

"Nit noi" is among the first 10-20 'words' of Thai or pidgin-Thai which a
visitor might pick up (e.g., "Speak English?"/"Nit noi.", "You like
durian?"/"Nit noi.").

Here it is in a glossary of Australian military jargon
(http://www.gunnies.pac.com.au/gallery/jargon_g-n.htm):

<<Nit Noy .... Small (Thai)>>

("Small" is not an ideal translation of the Thai expression IMHO ... but
this slightly altered sense lends itself to the modern use for
"trivial/tiny [thing]".)

This "nitnoy" is used about the same as the recently discussed "nitnoid"
for "trivial [flaw/problem]" or so as far as I can tell. There is
presumably influence from English "nit[picking]".

-- Doug Wilson