a billion here, a billion there

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Aug 22 23:37:17 UTC 2004

According to www.dirksencenter.org/featuresBillionHere.htm, there is no
evidence they have the the Senator said it in that well-known form.  They do
give some evidence that he said something partly similar in March of 1962.
He said "a billion here, a billion there."  But he didn't add the tag line
about "real money."

The first cite I can find for a newspaper article that attributes that
entire phrase to Dirksen is from the 11 July, 1975 Washington Post article,
written by David Broder, in which he reported on William Simon's speech to
the US Conference of Mayors.

     >>But he noted repeatedly the danger of excess spending, quoting the
late Sen. Everett M. Dirksen's line, "Take these little $1 billion and $2
billion bills, and eventually they add up to real money."<<

The first time I can find the EXACT phrase as we know it today is in a NY
Times/William Safire column from 28 Aug, 1975.

    >>As Everett Dirksen used to say of Federal budgets, "A billion here, a
billion there, pretty soon it begins to add up to real money."<<

So, perhaps Mr. Safire could comment on whether he actually heard Dirksen
say it.  Of course, one's memory from 30 years ago is not always reliable.
Mine isn't.

SC