my name

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Aug 26 12:27:58 UTC 2004

Tom,

Hardly personal at all.

Many items which might be rendered with a schwa in unstressed
syllables are actually more [I]-like in US southern speech. I seem to
have the following practice:

Careful: [dInIs]
Moderately careful: [dIn at s] (where [@] = schwa
Casual, allegro: [dI~:s] (where [I~] = nasalized [I] and [:] = length

But I am perhaps (nay, certainly) contaminated by years of northern
exposure; I have heard speakers more southern than me preserve the
[I] even in casual speech. Their stressed [I] is also tenser than
mine and deserves a raise mark on the [I].

dIn(I)s

PS: Then relationship of my name to "dentist" has always been
interesting to me. Some people have [dInIst] for both me and the
tooth-doctor.

preston at msu.edu