"faro"<"pharaoh", formerly Re: "dude" et al.

Fri Dec 10 21:34:24 UTC 2004

Bill Mullins quotes from an article on "the faro shuffle" by S. Brent
Morris published in a magician's magazine, but says that the references
to the historical statements he quotes are in a sequel which he doesn't
have.  He also cites Morris's book Magic Tricks, Card
> Shuffling,and Dynamic Computer Memories, but does not own it.

The book is published by the Mathematical Assn. of America and is
available in the library here -- I will not say "available in better
libraries everywhere", because I reserve that expression for strange
and borderline useless books that are in the library here only because
I came upon them and sent through a purchase order.   The useful books
I order here are likely to be stolen, or at the least read until they
fall apart.  My legacy to future generations of NYU library users will
be the collection fo strange and marginally useless books I ahve
bought, and I tend to that legacy ceaselessly.

But I digress.

The source given for the statement that faro evolved in 18th century
France and "supposedly" took its name from a picture of a pharaoh on a
card is The Oxford Guide to Card Games, by David Parlett, 1990, p. 78.
The source for the statement as to its popularity in America is John
Scarne, Scarne's New Complete Guide to Gambling, 1986, p. 267.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

"We have seen the best of our time.  Machinations, hollowness,
treachery, and all ruinous disorders follow us disquietly to our
graves."  King Lear, Act 1, scene 2 (Gloucester speaking).