"dust my broom" (was: "dig" probably not from Wolof)

Mon Dec 13 16:23:17 UTC 2004

Gerry Cohen posts:
>        "Dust my broom" isn't sexual; it merely means "leave."  HDAS
gives a long history for "dust" (= depart, clear out)  and gives an
1821 cite for "broom" (=to leave; the next earliest cite is 1932), but
the presence of  jazz "broom" (verb) and "dust one's broom" may be
independent of the 19c uses.

This is from an essay in which a NYC newspaper editor was showing off
his mastery of the lowlife slang introduced to NYers when the managers
of the Park Theater brough over the script of "Tom and Jerry" and had
an immense hit with it.  HDAS's 1821 citation is from the novel Tom &
Jerry (probably, rather than the play):

After roystering at the Theatre, they broomed to a neighboring bousing
ken. . . .
Commercial Advertiser, February 1, 1827, p. 2, col. 3

This editor's competence in slang wasn't perfect, since he
uses "broomed" to mean something like "went quickly from one place to
another" rather than "left a place quickly" -- "exit hurriedly, pursued
by a bear" -- but that's the English major breaking out in me again.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

"We have seen the best of our time.  Machinations, hollowness,
treachery, and all ruinous disorders follow us disquietly to our
graves."  King Lear, Act 1, scene 2 (Gloucester speaking).