"Gula Malaka" or "Gula Malacca" (1931)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 30 07:52:24 UTC 2004

CORRECTION: ""...an optimist if he is doing nothing about it." O.K., last
post before sleep.
GULA MALAKA--44 Google hits, 3 Google Groups hits
GULA MALACCA--3,200 Google hits, 12 Google Groups hits
(Not in OED, whose editors don't travel much)
(GOOGLE)
_Recipe Cottage: Rojack_ (http://www.recipecottage.com/fruits/rojack.html)
... A  general name for both types is gula merah, 'red sugar', and similar
palm  sugar
are found elsewhere - eg jaggery in Burma and gula Malaka  in Malaysia). ...
www.recipecottage.com/fruits/rojack.html - 19k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:QuWdDBTDJBMJ:www.recipecottage.com/fruits/rojack.html+"gula+
malaka"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&q=related:www.recipecottage.com/fruits/rojack.html)

_Dineout, the ultimate New Zealand restaurant review and dining  ..._
(http://www.dineout.co.nz/restaurant.php?rest=1735)
... Other dishes include nasi  lemak, roti curry, etc. The dessert menu
offers a small
range of Malaysian  desserts (eg gula malaka). Very reasonably priced. ...
www.dineout.co.nz/restaurant.php?rest=1735 - 27k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:2w5122NIeQMJ:www.dineout.co.nz/restaurant.php?rest=1735+"g
ula+malaka"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - Similar pa
<NO
_Malaysia social profile - Malaysia TravelPuppy_
(http://travelpuppy.com/malaysia/socialprofile.htm)
... attain its subtle flavour. Gula  Malacca (a firm sago pudding in palm
sugar
sauce) is also served in  restaurants. There are many ...
travelpuppy.com/malaysia/socialprofile.htm - 33k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:Z888PK
8OHtgJ:travelpuppy.com/malaysia/socialprofile.htm+"gula+malacca"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&q=related:travelpuppy.com/malaysia/socialprofile.h
tm)
<NO
<NO
<NO
<NOBR>MAGICAL
<NOBR>by Ambrose
<NOBR>Melbourne: Robe& Mullens  Ltd.
<NOB
<NO
<NOBR>Pg
<NOBR>It is only in sweet-meats that the cooks of Malaya  display a
hesitating genius. They make legions of different kinds of comfits and  pastries, but
of all the scores I sampled I dsicovered one alone that I can  affirms to be
superlatively good. It was the simplest of the lot. "Gula Malacca"  it is
called/ It consists of a small shape of jellied sago that is served in a  shallow
bowl of nipa-palm syrup and deluged according to taste with the milk
<NOBR>(Pg. 265 - ed.) from a fresh young coconut. To eat this  dainty is to
forget one's troubles and to slide into a voluptuous dream of  gastronomic joy.
Lest my readers should mistakenly suppose my culinary  lubrications are
self-revelant I shall bring this chapter to a
<NO
<NO
<NOBR>THE SOUL OF
<NOBR>by Henru Fauc
<NOBR>London: Elkin Mathews and
<NOB
<NO
<NOBR>Pg
<NOBR>Then came dinner. Ngah's cookery was rather monotonous,  but he made an
excellent curry, savagely spiced, the fires of which were  extinguished in a
_gula malaka_, the Malay dessert, sago diluted with coconut  milk, and
sweetened with sugar cane  ca