"Gula Malaka" or "Gula Malacca" (1931)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 30 07:57:53 UTC 2004

<NOBR>That last post got mangled, so I'll try
<NO
<NO
<NOBR>

<NOBR>MAGICAL
<NOBR>by Ambrose
<NOBR>Melbourne: Robe& Mullens  Ltd.
<NOB
<NO
<NOBR>Pg
<NOBR>It is only in sweet-meats that the cooks of Malaya  display a
hesitating genius. They make legions of different kinds of comfits and  pastries, but
of all the scores I sampled I dsicovered one alone that I can  affirms to be
superlatively good. It was the simplest of the lot. "Gula Malacca"  it is
called/ It consists of a small shape of jellied sago that is served in a  shallow
bowl of nipa-palm syrup and deluged according to taste with the milk
<NOBR>(Pg. 265 - ed.) from a fresh young coconut. To eat this  dainty is to
forget one's troubles and to slide into a voluptuous dream of  gastronomic joy.
Lest my readers should mistakenly suppose my culinary  lubrications are
self-revelant I shall bring this chapter to a
<NO
<NO
<NOBR>THE SOUL OF
<NOBR>by Henru Fauc
<NOBR>London: Elkin Mathews and
<NOB
<NO
<NOBR>Pg
<NOBR>Then came dinner. Ngah's cookery was rather monotonous,  but he made an
excellent curry, savagely spiced, the fires of which were  extinguished in a
_gula malaka_, the Malay dessert, sago diluted with coconut  milk, and
sweetened with sugar cane  ca