Antedating of odds-maker 1931

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Feb 1 03:22:04 UTC 2004

M-W has ca. 1940  OED doesn't have...but I could have missed it.

Using newspaperarchive--

9 Dec. 1931 _Coshocton(OH) Tribune and Times_ 6/1

<<This business of neglecting neither major party was made famous by Samuel Insull, who, in the 1926 senatorial race in Illinois between Frank L. Smith and George Brennan, contributed to the campaigns of both. Samuel Insull, too, was a good odds maker, holding Smith at something like 6 to 1.  We do not admire the motives, but we are forced to bow to the perspicacity of these gentlemen of large business interests who open their purses to both parties.

Sam Clements