Thing or Think

Benjamin Barrett bjb5 at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Sun Feb 8 19:42:06 UTC 2004

There was a recent thread on the Honyaku translation list about "I you think
X, you've got another XXX coming."

I was shocked at the number of people who insisted that only "think" was
logical for XXX and that (1) it was absolutely the only correct response or
(2) it was the only way they had ever heard it.

Until those e-mails, it had never occurred to me that XXX might be think
rather than thing! Although I agree with the opinions that "think" is witty,
those same opinions also sounded pretty prescriptivist, so I don't thing
I'll switch over.

Benjamin Barrett