chopped liver--consciousness-raising is in order

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Feb 10 02:08:22 UTC 2004

At 8:02 PM -0500 2/9/04, Sam Clements wrote:
>Sheesh!  Can't Barry get ANY respect around here?  What is he, chopped
liver?! ...

    I've never understood the derogatory reference to chopped liver in
the phrase (with slight variants) "What am I, chopped liver?"  Well
prepared chopped liver is always tasty, and very well prepared
chopped liver is delicious, a culinary delight.

    Why this lack of respect for chopped liver?

Gerald Cohen