Offensive vernacular?

Thu Feb 12 13:16:53 UTC 2004

Some people at my college are claiming this language is a clear attempt
to use a vernacular that "has been ascribed derisively, to people of
color."

While I'm not a linguist, it seems to me that this sounds more like the
dialect of a southern white hillbilly, or even a parody of one, ala Li'l
Abner.

What I am asking for is your considered opinions as to what dialectal
influences you see in this language, and any information you have that
would suggest this kind of language has been ascribed in derision
towards people of color.
        <<<

Plenty of sayings and accents and styles "ha[ve] been ascribed" to
people or groups who had nothing to do with them. I vote with you.

-- Mark A. Mandel
   Linguistic Data Consortium, University of Pennsylvania