Offensive vernacular?

Sally Donlon sod at LOUISIANA.EDU
Thu Feb 12 14:03:53 UTC 2004

First, my lifelong experience with people of color (here in South Louisiana and
New Orleans) tells me that the parody bears very little resemblance to any such
vernacular. It is more representative, I believe, of an amorphous, generally
uneducated, person responding to a perceived rebuke. My guess is that this
exchange, if it happened, is of a hierarchical nature (i.e., a mild rebuttal to
a secretary who had the audacity to "correct" a professor?).

sally donlon