slider/Slyder(R), Gut-bo

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Feb 17 15:30:39 UTC 2004

>There are a lot of White Castles up in northern NJ.
>Some of them must go back to the 70s, since my wife (a
>native) ate them in her childhood.
>
>There's also a number of variations on the "White"
>theme. The one I recall is "White Manna", which I
>think is in Hackensack.

originating as "White Manor"?

>There's also a White X
>System--I think one in Highland Park on Rt. 27.
>
>Any similar joints in NY?

I think so, although I can't remember the names.  There was a pretty
good movie a while back called "White Palace", with Susan Sarandon
(who was a waitress in an eponymous hamburger joint) and James
Spader, but I'm assuming the scriptwriter invented the chain for the
occasion.

larry