Question about Scottish

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Tue Feb 17 18:57:18 UTC 2004

Yes!  I read the donkey's name with an 'r' to my son, long before I got
into linguistics, obviously!  And remember Whittier's "harrd hearrt" (in
whatever poem)?  I wonder if the double 'r' was meant to push the vowel
farther front (to print /a/ in IPA) to reflect the New England vowel?  But
do you think present-day New England schoolteachers understand this when
they ask their kids to read this stuff?  British teachers wouldn't have a
problem with Eeyore and (hopefully) Marmie, but what would they make of a
double 'r'?  (Hopefully they wouldn't teach Whittier....)