Teenage slang "schiznick/shiz" (= great, cool)

Thu Feb 19 02:50:23 UTC 2004

(catching up on my list mail)

On Feb. 3 Joel Shaver wrote

What's interesting is, though I hadn't connected the two until I saw it
written, these words are formed with a similar infix to what my
grandparents and my dad always used to use in what they called
"carnival language" (one of the many pig-latinesque "languages" English
has accumulated).   They said the carnies used to speak it to confuse
and rip off customers.  The infix was more like ee-iz, though.  I'm
sure something like this could have been developed twice by different
groups of people, though it would be interesting to see if there is any
connection.

        -------

CLICK! In, I guess, the early sixties a New York disc jockey, Murray the
K, used /i:@z/~/i:@s/ infixation as a secret language, which he called
/mi:@'s^ri:/ -- "Murray" with the infix.

-- Mark A. Mandel