"Bear market" in NY Times

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Mon Feb 23 07:01:43 UTC 2004

Gerald may have covered this in his Forum Anglicum article, but the
fable about the man who sold the bearskin before catching the bear is
originally from Aesop, I think, and occurs in slightly different
bestial dress in Henry V, when the French emissary comes to the king
on the eve of the battle of Agincourt to demand the English
surrender. Not so fast, says Henry; and then reminds the emissary:

The man that once did sell the lion's skin
While the beast lived, was killed with hunting him.

Geoff Nunberg