"Make like a tree and leave" (1954)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 26 04:31:00 UTC 2004

At 7:38 PM -0500 2/24/04, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>    It was at the end of the day today (another day wasted like so many
>others) and I didn't know if anyone was still waiting for a hearing on parking
>tickets.
>    "Make like a tree," the guard told me.
>    "Make like a tree?"
>    "Make like a tree and get outta here.  Make like a tree and leave!"

"Make like a tree and get outta here."  Reminds me of a moment in
Back to the Future (either I or II), in which a dumb tough guy who
gets everything wrong orders someone (Marty McFly [Michael J. Fox] or
his father, no doubt--this is when Marty is back in 1955) to "Make
like a tree and take off" and is then corrected--"It's 'Make like a
tree and leave', you moron".  Nice to know that it wasn't an
anachronism, given the above date.

Larry