Three Inaugurations

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 26 19:32:47 UTC 2004

This announcement is for members in good standing of the American Dialect Society:

We've been invited to three different inaugurations. For each we can designate a delegate to represent the Society (and to march toward the head of the procession, at least among learned societies, since we were founded in 1889). Aside from the procession and ceremony itself, there are ancillary events like luncheons and concerts.

The delegate will be expected to provide her or his own academic attire, and her or his own travel expenses. In return, the delegate gets the opportunity to share in the festivities and meet lots of colleagues in the world of higher learning. The delegate's name also gets immortalized in the program of the inauguration.

Here are the particulars of the inaugurations. If you are interested in representing ADS at one of these, please let me know soon, not via ADS-L but at my e-mail address: AAllan at aol.com.

Wednesday, March 31, 10 a.m., Fort Worth, Texas: Inauguration of Victor J. Boschini, Jr. as tenth chancellor of Texas Christian U.

Saturday, April 3, 2 p.m., Millersville, Pennsylvania: Inauguration of Francine G. McNairy as thirteenth president of Millersville U. Events begin Friday with luncheon, dinner, threatre production of "Glass Meangerie"; on Saturday there's a brunch at 11. All at no cost to the delegate, of course.

Thursday, April 15, 3 p.m., Bloomington, Indiana: Inauguration of Adam W. Herbert as seventeenth president of Indiana U. Luncheon beforehand, at no cost to delegate, of course.

So - if you're in the mood to celebrate, if you can spare the time and travel the distance, and if you're a current ADS member - let me know!

Allan Metcalf, Executive Secretary