1st gentleman

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 12 15:50:47 UTC 2004

At 11:16 AM -0400 7/12/04, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>larry,
>
>Not so. michigan.gov recognizes Daniel Granholm Mulhern as "First
>Gentleman," even in his web address:
>http://www.michigan.gov/firstgentleman/
>
>dInIs

Interesting.  We have our second married female governor in my memory
in CT, and neither husband was or is so designated, as far as I know.
The husband of the female minister at our Unitarian-Universalist
society is also not "first gentleman", but I would predict based on
general properties of the UU (non-)creed that when a male Unitarian
minister is married, his wife (or husband, as the case may be) is
likewise undesignated as first whatever.