"blue"(English)=obscene. Why "green" in Spanish?

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Wed Jul 21 04:21:47 UTC 2004

I remember it from Colombia in the mid 60s, but only in the phrase
'chistes verdes'; i.e. "green" jokes, which means simply dirty jokes.
That is, not quite as serious as the connotation, to me, of 'obscene.'
I don't recall anyone, Spanish or English speaker, offering a reason
for the difference in color.  I don't know if Spanish has the
equivalent meaning of English 'color,' as in 'off-color joke.'

Victoria

On Tuesday, July 20, 2004 8:13 PM, Barbara Need wrote:

> It is certainly green in Spanish, though I don't know why or when.
>
> Barbara
>
> ---

Victoria Neufeldt
727 9th Street East