down the middle or across

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu Jul 22 21:37:29 UTC 2004

I agree with Doug that cutting a sandwich horizontally (so the top half is
rounded and the bottom half is squared off) would be weird.  When I was a
kid my Dad always cut sandwiches down the middle vertically (so the two
halves were symmetrical).  We didn't have any particular word for that, but
Mom always cut them "catty-cornered" (not "diagonally").

Peter Mc.

--On Thursday, July 22, 2004 3:25 PM -0400 Beverly Flanigan