down the middle or across

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Jul 22 22:46:31 UTC 2004

>First, this comment assumes rounded-top bread; not all was; some was
>square. In fact, it was often called "sandwich bread," as I recall.

Second, it assumes that the so-called horizontal cut went
across,leaving a top and bottom half. Why couldn't it go down,
leaving two sides?

Of course, I, and nobody on my family, never cut no sandwiches on the
diagonal (until we were introduced to yuppie customs, luckily, later
in life, after our family values were well established).

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu